List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Problem with contexts in TS<->PO
From:       Lukáš Tinkl <lukas () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-09-15 17:52:08

Dne 15.9.2014 v 19:26 Albert Astals Cid napsal(a):
> El Dilluns, 15 de setembre de 2014, a les 13:06:31, Chusslove Illich va
> escriure:
>>> -> lupdate mangles/breaks the context.
>>>
>>> WONTFIX on Qt side (fixing lupdate)
>>>
>>> Solution: directly extract po from Qt frameworks, so the context are
>>> correct; requires few changes on the infrastructure
>>
>> This sounds strange. Is it related to
>> https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-40444?
>
> Don't know, tbh i never understood; the problems of such things being
> explained with words instead of with examples on the command line :D
>
> Lukas can you give us the expamples of what is really wrong?
>
> Cheers,
>    Albert
>
>> If so, I see Oswald's
>> comments as correct, including the need-more-info resolution.
>>
>> For cases where PO is just an intermediate format, Gettext call conventions
>> do not apply (e.g. that context in PO must match the context in code). Any
>> conventions are instead established by the conversion tool. So the only
>> relevant thing is whether installing the final TS file (after TS->PO->TS
>> process) results in seeing all translations in the program. If it doesn't,
>> then something is broken in the PO->TS part of lconvert, and not in lupdate
>> or the TS->PO part of lconvert.

I explained the problem and its symptoms (directly with examples) in the
above bug report. I guess our solution would be to directly extract the
strings using gettext, converting them effectively to PO files and
finally compiling them into QM binary format using msgfmt. That way we
can preserve the correct context and also save unnecessary roundtrips
when converting TS->PO->QM

--
Lukáš Tinkl <lukas@kde.org>