List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Centralized summit operations (was: Akademy 2014, notes of the Localization BoF)
From:       Chusslove Illich <caslav.ilic () gmx ! net>
Date:       2014-09-15 13:52:10

> # Use summit workflow officially
> Some questions / issues
> - perf / infrastructure issues

Performance is low enough that I don't think centralization is feasible
without processing multiple languages in parallel. Here are the numbers for
the fr summit (most translated), on a 2.8 GHz Core 2 machine (rounded
upwards):

       messages summit merge:  5 min
     messages summit scatter: 10 min
    docmessages summit merge:  3 min
  docmessages summit scatter:  2 min

Performance also depends on what "special" things are done on scatter, as
set in per-language summit configs (LANG/summit/messages.extras.summit).
E.g. sr summit takes 40 min to scatter, due to post-processing and review
state checks. But this could be handled by dropping a language from
automatic scatter if it becomes too demanding.

> - would it be possible to avoid per team merging by making scripty
> directly work on summit branch ?

It would, but then nothing "special" could happen on merge. For example, as
it is now, one special thing that set for all languages is "fine" wrapping
of strings (e.g. line breaking tags, etc). And in per-language configs other
such special things happen, e.g. automatic fill-out of some header fields.

Other than scatter and merge operations, that are performed per language,
there is the gather operation, that is performed on templates (I do this).
On the performance side, gather currently takes one hour, due to complicated
branch situation (before kf5 branches it took about 10 minutes). Also,
gather requires manual intervention whenever a new catalog appears or
dissapears (something like 1-3 times per week). This usually takes few
minutes at most, but human judgment is necessary.

> - people in BoF mostly agree. Need to be discussed.

As I observed, a few teams looked into summit in the past and decided not to
use it. I don't think it was only because it was not official.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)