List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Minimum translation percentage for Plasma 5 releases (second take)
From:       Albert Astals Cid <aacid () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-08-16 21:11:40

El Dissabte, 16 d'agost de 2014, a les 19:58:59, Chusslove Illich va escriure:
> >> [: Luigi Toscano :]
> >> [...] the language setting of Plasma touches all the applications, so
> >> even if the desktop in language foo is nicely translated, all the other
> >> applications [...]
> >
> > [: Albert Astals Cid :]
> > Yes, and that's something we can't fix. As said changing the language will
> > change the langauge of your mozilla and gnome apps, how are we going to do
> > anything about them?
>
> But that is precisely the point: in a dialog that controls translations of
> everything, including non-KDE apps, user would make a decision for that
> everything, but based only on Plasma's own translation state.

Right, you have a point there.

> Thinking further, even if by some magic the translation state of
> "everything" could be obtained, it still wouldn't make sense that the user
> makes one global selection based on one total percentage.
>
> What could be nice to have, though technically not possible at present, is
> that the user can switch only the language of Plasma itself (i.e. of all its
> constituent programs together). But this switch would have to be clearly
> separated from the global language switch, and it should be made on
> personal initiative and not through dialogs automatically popping up. In
> the same way the user can switch the language of a single KDE application
> now.

Not sure if that makes sense tbh.

So i guess we're back to either no percentage or arbitrary percentage.

I've cheked gnome and they don't seem to have a percentage at all. Does
anybody know what other "big" projects do?

Cheers,
  Albert