List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Minimum translation percentage for Plasma 5 release
From:       Pino Toscano <toscano.pino () tiscali ! it>
Date:       2014-08-12 11:01:37

On Tuesday 12 August 2014 12:55:13 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El Dimarts, 12 d'agost de 2014, a les 12:44:32, Pino Toscano va
escriure:
> > On Tuesday 12 August 2014 12:13:01 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > > El Dimarts, 12 d'agost de 2014, a les 11:39:49, Pino Toscano va
> >
> > escriure:

> > > I'm confused here, you first argue that "most of our final users
> > > are
> > > not skilled in English" but then you seem to argue for requiring a
> > > high percentage of translations,
> >
> > Correct.
> >
> > > which means we're leaving those out
> > > in the cold when possibly/maybe at 15% or 25% they would have
> > > enough
> > > translations to get the basics translated and to guess the rest.
> >
> > And how 15% implies that the basics are translated? Yes, you said
> > "possibly/maybe", which means that such low percentage has the same
> > probability to be useful strings than just error messages or
> > uncommon
> > strings.
>
> It does not imply it, it does not imply against it either, so using it
> as limit seems arbitrary to me.

Unless we are talking about things like kgeography.po or kstars.po
(which are done mostly with data translations), having a 70%/80%
threshold means that it is really difficult to not have most of the
interface/common parts translated.

15% can just be error messages or similar strings in most of the cases.

--
Pino Toscano