List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Should an application uses framework translations if it is not itself translated?
From:       Caslav Ilic <caslav.ilic () gmx ! net>
Date:       2014-04-26 14:07:28

>> [: Aurélien Gâteau :]
>> Slightly related: Assuming the code stays this way,
>> KLocalizedString::isApplicationTranslatedInto() should probably be
>> changed to cache its result. Right now it checks if .mo files exist every
>> time i18n() is called. (Call chain is i18n() ->
>> isApplicationTranslatedInto() -> KCatalog::catalogLocalDir() ->
>> QStandardPaths::locate()
>
> [: Albert Astals Cid :]
> Looks like a bad place to use isApplicationTranslatedInto, kdelibs is
> using it in a different place. You'll have to ask Chusslove about this.

For the code structure it is better to cache the result, as now KI18n is in
general doing lazy evaluation of things. This is quick to do, only the
question is whether to dump the feature instead.

I do try not to have partially translated POs around, but on the other hand
I do not find it ugly if untranslated application shows some translated
strings. Also, I'm not aware that any other translation system tries to do
something like this. I'm slightly leaning towards removing the feature and
waiting for someone to complain.