List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Should an application uses framework translations if it is not itself translated?
From:       Albert Astals Cid <aacid () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-04-23 19:55:26

El Dimarts, 22 d'abril de 2014, a les 17:06:11, Aurélien Gâteau va escriure:
> While working on KI18n-translated frameworks, I discovered KI18n does not
> translate any string if the application itself is not translated. This

Correct.

> means
> if application A uses, say, KIconThemes and does not have any translation
> available in the user language (but KIconThemes does), then any dialog or
> window coming from KIconThemes won't be translated.
>
> It feels wrong to me, especially since if A uses any Qt-translated
> framework, strings from the Qt-translated framework will be translated.

Those are quite small in most of our applications.

> I filed a review request to fix this:
> https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/117688/ but Chusslove says there are good
> reasons against supporting partial translations, dating from before he was
> involved and this topic should be discussed. Are those reasons still valid?

Since nothing i can see has changed I'd say they still are.

Namely it gives a translation team the hability to not have a program
translated (i.e. having no .po for it) unless they think it has a reasonable
amount of quality/quantity/whatever.

Cheers,
  Albert