List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Translators BoF follow-up: promotion
From:       "Yuri Chornoivan" <yurchor () ukr ! net>
Date:       2013-08-27 19:31:55

Hi!

=D0=BD=D0=B0=D0=BF=D0=B8=D1=81=D0=B0=D0=BD=D0=B5 Tue, 27 Aug 2013 20:33:=
19 +0300, Marta Rybczynska  =

<rybczynska@gmail.com>:

> Hello all,
> I think that the end of the vacation season is a good moment to talk  =

> about
> the translation promotion. First, do you think that there is need?

It's hard to tell. Translation teams resemble the stars: they have  =

different periods of their lives and each team is in its unique period o=
f  =

life in a given moment of time. ;)

Some teams need promotion, some do not need, some teams are dead and som=
e  =

are not even born.

> Do you
> get enough new translators in your team?

I believe that the answer should be "no" for most of the teams. But it i=
s  =

hard to define what should attract the new translators? Sponsorship (lik=
e  =

in Google Code-In, GNOME Outreach Program for Women, etc.)?  =

Well-established tutorials on how to start? Or just a gentle mix of good=
  =

and bad translations in interface? ;)

To be honest, I do not know the answer. Seems that the latter is the mos=
t  =

effective in attracting the new translators, but it means broken and  =

partial localization at any given moment so there is a work for the new =
 =

translators.

> Do you get feedback from the users?

Sure. By various mysterious ways. Sometimes just an email beginning with=
  =

"Hey, you! Change the translation of xxx immediately!" Sometimes a polit=
e  =

forum post. And even feedback on Facebook.

  =

> and
> the people can help. A tutorials on how to translate with easy-to-foll=
ow
> instruction is one idea here.

We, with GNOME translators, have a very thorough tutorial on FOSS  =

translations (nobody find an uncovered topic so far).

http://docs.linux.org.ua/=D0=9F=D0=B5=D1=80=D0=B5=D0=BA=D0=BB=D0=B0=D0=B4=
=D0=B8/=D0=9F=D0=B5=D1=80=D0=B5=D0=BA=D0=BB=D0=B0=D0=B4=D0=B8:_=D1=8F=D0=
=BA_=D1=86=D0=B5_=D1=80=D0=BE=D0=B1=D0=B8=D1=82=D1=8C=D1=81=D1=8F/

It is linked from the corresponding wikipedia page:

http://uk.wikipedia.org/wiki/=D0=A3=D0=BA=D1=80=D0=B0=D1=97=D0=BD=D1=96=D0=
=B7=D0=B0=D1=86=D1=96=D1=8F_=D0=BF=D1=80=D0=BE=D0=B3=D1=80=D0=B0=D0=BC=D0=
=BD=D0=BE=D0=B3=D0=BE_=D0=B7=D0=B0=D0=B1=D0=B5=D0=B7=D0=BF=D0=B5=D1=87=D0=
=B5=D0=BD=D0=BD=D1=8F

The effectiveness of the pages in attracting the new translators is zero=
.

Reports on the conferences in Kyiv, translation links given on Workshop =
 =

with GNOME Foundation members... and nobody's willing to join the teams =
 =

(KDE, GNOME, Fedora, Debian, LibreOffice, etc.) after them.

All the new translators in 5 years were join using other channels: forum=
s,  =

mailing lists, personal links, just accidentally.

> 2. Users: if they find a translation they would like to improve, do th=
ey
> know how to report this easily? 'How to improve the translation by
> reporting your suggestion' tutorial can be the first step.

Do not know exactly. It seems to me that the "pure users" are not willin=
g  =

to report any suggestions. They can write a blog post in their blog or o=
n  =

forum blaming "the translators" in general and remembering "good old day=
s"  =

when "everything was translated in its right place".

The people who cares have reported their bugs to me regardless to the ty=
pe  =

of feedback address (mainly, find the email address in the translation  =

files: Opera, KDE, Inkscape, or just personally by the phone (do not eve=
n  =

know how they determined the number)).

  =

> have.