List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Qt translations
From:       Albert Astals Cid <aacid () kde ! org>
Date:       2013-04-26 21:24:49

El Divendres, 26 d'abril de 2013, a les 13:10:34, Vít Pelčák va escriure:
> 2013/4/26 mvillarino <mvillarino@kde-espana.es>:
> >> Really? I think, that it would be OK to take kdeqt.po convert it to
> >> ts, do some check in qt linguist and then send it to Digia or whoever
> >> develops Qt now.
> >
> > If you do it, do not do it that way. Generate a qt.po as explained at
> > http://qt-project.org/wiki/Qt-Localization
> >
> >  (in short:
> >  $ lconvert <file>.ts -o <file>.po
> >
> > translate
> > $ lconvert -locations relative <file>.po -o <file>.ts
> >
> > and in "translate", use a translation memory containing kdeqt.po, of if
> > usin lokalize, syncronize (primary sync) with that file as merge source.
> Yep, I plan to do it that way.
>
> >> So, I was asking whether it is legal to do so and whether somebody has
> >> experience with it and as such can give some hints or whatsoever..
> >
> > Concerning legal issues, if the person/people doing those operations are
> > the same authors of the translations in kde, there should be no big
> > problem with it.
>
> Well, I'm, sort of, Czech team coordinator. I did some part of that
> translation, but not 100%.
>
> I thought, that it is all under GPL and I think that Qt is as well.

Qt is not GPL only, it's GPL, LGPL and commercial. when submitting
code/translations to Qt you have to agree to the Qt Contributor Agreement,
that grans some "extra" things to some companies, etc.

For that reason you are not legally allowed to submit other people's work sinc
they may have not signed the Qt Contributor Agreement.

So you'd have to either translate the file totally by yourself or get the
agreement of everyone that translated it to submit on that Qt Contributor
Agreement.

Cheers,
  Albert

P.S: For Qt5/KDE Frameworks 5 I don't think it makes sense to keep this "fork"
of Qt translations so in the [ near?] future you'll have to work with Qt-
project anyway, but let's not have this discussion now unless someone really
wants to.