List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Translation Methods comparsion
From:       "Federico Leva (Nemo)" <nemowiki () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-04-01 15:34:39

Luigi Toscano, 01/04/2013 17:14:
>> Could you clarify what you mean *exactly* by "checking the translations"?
>
> When Italian translators without commit rights send me a translation, I *at
> least* read it to check for common mistakes,

Sorry if I insist: what sort of common mistakes, exactly?
For instance, there can't be anything breaking your PO files coming from
TWN. I also know that, currently, TWN admins give a cursory sanity check
on export.

> but also because if I'm going to
> commit it, I'm somehow responsible for it.

This seems more a byproduct than an aim in itself: you're responsible
because the translators can't take all responsibility on themselves for
technical obstacles; what's important is probably that *someone* is
responsible and able of preventing and fixing mistakes. If, however, the
aim is having a single gatekeeper for translations, well surely it's
another matter; is this the point?

> I could even check if the
> translation was not done using, for example, google translator (which wouldbe
> a violation of a number of terms of usage - and no, it's not something that
> can't happen...)

This would probably be not so hard to do. If you can provide (and agree
upon) a concrete list of validation features like this that you consider
*required* for any translation tool, it's possible to work on them.

> This is "checking the translations" for me.
>
> If, as it seems, "a TWN admin" automagically performs the commit to the KDE
> repository, this step will be missing, and I don't think it's doable.
>
> If only translation reviewed or anyway approved by a known translator are
> going it, it's a different story.

Personally, I'm unable to answer meaningfully before the premises above
are clarified, so let me leave this for later.

Nemo