List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Translating KDE with Translatewiki
From:       Niklas_Laxström <niklas.laxstrom () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-03-17 15:30:07

On 17 March 2013 15:12, Myriam Schweingruber <myriam@kde.org> wrote:
> I have been searching the archives and didn't find any indications
> that there ever was a discussion on the translators list about
> Translatewiki at all, if I did miss it, could somebody please point me
> to the archives?

This thread is the discussion.

> While I do not translate KDE, I am nonetheless a professional
> translator for pharmaceutical and medical texts and I heavily rely on
> a good translation memory for terminology. I believe translating
> software is not different.
>
> I also contribute heavily to the 3 KDE wikis writing documentation and
> I have tried to look at how translations are managed, what I really
> miss is the possibility to use of the existing translation memories,
> which for me would be a total no-go when it comes to translate
> something that already has translation memory. It is duplicate work
> and not very productive. We all invest our free time into this and
> translation memories are THE tool to avoid duplicate work and spare
> considerable time.

The Translate extensions supports external translation memory and
machine translation services.

It also has a built-in translation memory. It is not the best one out
there, especially compared to commercial alternatives, but we have
been improving it step by step and want to improve it further.

We also have interface designs for glossary features. The development
on that has not yet started.

If you are aware of databases, algorithms or services that we can use,
please let me know.

> everything in here and see what we can do so that KDE has optimal
> translations with a minimum of time wasted.

I'm all in for removing time wasters for translators. That is one of
the biggest if not the main reason I'm proposing translatewiki.net.

  -Niklas

--
Niklas Laxström