List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Translating KDE with Translatewiki
From:       Niklas_Laxström <niklas.laxstrom () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-03-16 17:02:21

On 16 March 2013 18:17, Luigi Toscano <luigi.toscano@tiscali.it> wrote:
> Niklas Laxstr=C3=B6m wrote:
>> I am happy to also help with issues with UserBase translations
>> together with the KDE webteam, but that is a different topic.
> No, it is not. See above.

To me they are separate things. For the remainder I will only be
talking about translatewiki.net.

>> My proposal is about translating the software interface strings at
>> translatewiki.net (a website). Both UserBase and translatewiki.net use
>> the Translate extension of MediaWiki.

> Removing the offline translations and killing the current translation
> workflow? No, this is not going to work. Personally, the "two ways" solut=
ion
> is the only one that I can accept (i.e. translatewiki as interface for
> translating files stored on a KDE VCS - currently SVN).

I will elaborate. Translatewiki.net would be an alternative tool for
language teams who want to opt-in. I can't and don't want to force
this to anyone.

The pot and po files will of course remain in the KDE repository. We
at translatewiki.net would regularly check changes in the files in the
repository and sync the state into the wiki (import) and push any new
translations from the wiki to the repository (export) [1]. We can
handle conflicts [2] during import by preferring either the repository
version or the wiki version. But since conflicts are wasted time both
to the translators and to the one resolving them, we would prefer that
most of the work would be done through translatewiki.net if the
language team has decided to use it.

This is how it works for all projects at translatewiki.net [3] with
the exception that translation for all languages happens at
translatewiki.net. Changes to translations directly in the
repositories are rare. We export translations as often as once a day
to once a week depending on the project.

I will prepare a list of benefits (and downsides) of translatewiki.net
which you (all) can then expand. But before that I want to make a sure
that we have a mutual understanding of where translatewiki.net belongs
in the translation process.

  -Niklas

[1] Exact details for this and many other things are to be discussed.
[2] Translation has changed both in the repository and in the wiki.
[3] See the bottom part of http://translatewiki.net/

--
Niklas Laxstr=C3=B6m