List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Translating KDE with Translatewiki
From:       Luigi Toscano <luigi.toscano () tiscali ! it>
Date:       2013-03-16 16:17:10

Niklas Laxström wrote:
> On 16 March 2013 15:01, Luigi Toscano <luigi.toscano@tiscali.it> wrote:
>> I would say that this is the best place to discuss this, and where all the
>> discussiong, including gathering of requirements from translation teams,
>> should have happened in the first place.
>>
>> I don't care if some teams want to use the online interface. Similarly, it's
>> nice to be able to export translations for offline operation, but it's not
>> enough. The translations from the wiki should integrate with the exiting workflow.
>
> [...]
>
>> If those points are addressed, some teams can decide to use a combination of
>> translation systems or use only one, but the central point of information will
>> be useful for everyone and we can discuss about extending support. And I guess
>> that's also the reason (the lack of those features and the concerns written
>> down above) why some teams do not see this wiki-based translation as a good
>> thing (it simply "landed").
>
> Are you now talking about translation of documentation at UserBase?
> Your reply doesn't make sense to me otherwise.
I was talking about both. Implementing the aforementioned proposal will
allowing a "two ways" workflow (translatewiki as another possible frontend for
translations); adding support for UI messages and po-based documentation will
be then transparent for teams who don't want or don't need to use translatewiki.

> I am happy to also help with issues with UserBase translations
> together with the KDE webteam, but that is a different topic.
No, it is not. See above.

> My proposal is about translating the software interface strings at
> translatewiki.net (a website). Both UserBase and translatewiki.net use
> the Translate extension of MediaWiki.
Removing the offline translations and killing the current translation
workflow? No, this is not going to work. Personally, the "two ways" solution
is the only one that I can accept (i.e. translatewiki as interface for
translating files stored on a KDE VCS - currently SVN).

Ciao
--
Luigi