List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Translating KDE with Translatewiki
From:       Luigi Toscano <luigi.toscano () tiscali ! it>
Date:       2013-03-16 13:01:24

Anne Wilson wrote:
> You do know, of course, that the Translate extension does allow for
> offline translation, using Lokalize or similar, then importing the
> translations?
>
> I don't appreciate Albert's tone in his reply, but if there is an
> interest in knowing whether the extension can be valuable to you, why
> not pop in to #kde-www and talk about it?  Several people there know
> quite a bit about the extension, and one or two know about the coming
> improvements.   I believe that our wiki sandbox has (or will have in
> the next few days) the possibility of doing some tests and assessments.

I would say that this is the best place to discuss this, and where all the
discussiong, including gathering of requirements from translation teams,
should have happened in the first place.

I don't care if some teams want to use the online interface. Similarly, it's
nice to be able to export translations for offline operation, but it's not
enough. The translations from the wiki should integrate with the exiting workflow.

To summarize the changes that should be made to the current status before
discussing further changes, imho, are:
- the status of all translations should be available in a central point. In
the Italian team we assign the responsibility for packages or groups based on
the official groups, matching the ones available on i18n.kde.org. We had no
view of translation of wikis, they are a completely separated world and I
found out a lot of duplicate effort from people who are outside the
"historical" team. This is not about the quality of their work, but for
example it's difficult to run the queries I run using posieve to cleanup
errors. In other word, the current status of translation wiki created two
translation teams for the same language and that's bad.
- teams should be able to decide if they want to disable online translations
and use only offline translations.

This means that wiki translation should be always exported to po. The only
problem in case some team decide to use both system could be merging (when a
change comes from both po and wiki?) but I guess that it's a matter of rules
and proper ACLs

If those points are addressed, some teams can decide to use a combination of
translation systems or use only one, but the central point of information will
be useful for everyone and we can discuss about extending support. And I guess
that's also the reason (the lack of those features and the concerns written
down above) why some teams do not see this wiki-based translation as a good
thing (it simply "landed").

Ciao
--
Luigi