List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: =?utf-8?Q?Trojit=C3=A1_localization_problem?= =?utf-8?Q?s?=
From:       "Yuri Chornoivan" <yurchor () ukr ! net>
Date:       2013-02-27 5:20:51

=D0=BD=D0=B0=D0=BF=D0=B8=D1=81=D0=B0=D0=BD=D0=B5 Wed, 27 Feb 2013 00:25:=
32 +0200, Albert Astals Cid  =

<aacid@kde.org>:

> El Dimarts, 26 de febrer de 2013, a les 08:47:22, Yuri Chornoivan va  =

> escriure:
>> Hi,
>>
>> It seems that Trojit=C3=A1's localization has some problems, at least=
 in
>> Ukrainian (Trojit=C3=A1 git/master, Qt 4.8.4).
>>
>> 1. Every string that contains the word "Trojit=C3=A1" cannot be trans=
lated.
>> Example: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/55247264/trojita.png
>>
>> The reason seems to be the "=C3=A1".
>>
>> Is there any way to avoid this trouble?
>
> There's lots of ways:
>  * Find if it is a bug in Qt or any of the scripts and fix it
>  * Don't use Qt for translations
>  * Rename the app
> etc. :D
>
> Obviously the first seems like only real option, but don't count me in=
 in
> investigating it, sorry.

Seems like a bug in Qt. For example this string from  =

SettingsGeneralPage.ui is converted into TS as follows, translated, but =
 =

does not load:

<source>Show Trojit=C3=A1&apos;s homepage on startup</source>

Will investigate further by myself then...

>> 2. Qt has hardcoded limit of plural forms for Ukrainian (uk_UA, 3 for=
ms)
>> and Ukrainian KDE has 4 forms. This was not a problem before as all
>> translation tools with hardcoded plural counter (Launchpad, Transifex=
,
>> Virtaal) just skip the fourth form that results in ugly but visible
>> translations.
>>
>> Qt's lconvert refuses to do so: "Removed plural forms as the target
>> language has less forms." So all messages with plural forms look
>> untranslated.
>>
>> Is it possible to limit plural forms just for the trojita_common.po t=
o 3
>> manually without overrun by scripty?
>
> Adding a manual exception to scripty, but doesn't sound like a good  =

> thing to
> me. Any chance you can convince the Qt guys 4 plurals is better?

Very, very unlikely. They cannot enable non-Latin accelerators for my  =

language for more than three years with a ready to use patch. There must=
  =

be supernova burst near the Sun to make them change something in  =

localization, but it would make the Earth lifeless. :'(

Best regard,
Yuri