List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Simon translations
From:       Peter Grasch <me () bedahr ! org>
Date:       2013-01-13 17:45:30

Hi,

On Sat, 2013-01-12 at 17:40 +0100, Tomáš Chvátal wrote:
> > Basically, the Czech translation was (is) fairly incomplete - it's at
> > 33.48 % now but was even lower before the release.
> > Pavel contacted me privately, saying that he translated Simon 0.4 but
> > couldn't get it merged upstream soon enough for the release because Vít
> > Pelčák couldn't do that during the holidays.
>
> Yep I know we are slow :-) But we are slowly improving.
:)
I really meant no disrespect, though.

> It is better to add
> correct translations rather than just hunt for 100% of strings translated
> poorly.
Sure, but I sadly didn't know that at the time.

> Well here is bit misconcept, he translates from German to Czech and almost
> completely ignore the english strings. Plus he likes to educate (he says that)
> the people by inventing new terms for common strings.
Well, *bleep*.

> It might, he even has a fanclub on czech community sites screaming in pain
> everytime he translates something. The bright side is that when he does so
> there are few people that go and fix it afterwards (but that happens only on
> popular apps like razor-qt de translations).
>
> I didn't go through everything as I gave up after reviding few files. I leave
> that to Vit, as he is the coordinator (and I like to torture him :D) so it
> might be better or even worse :-)
Alright, I'll still ignore this for the time being. I really don't wanna
have to re-roll the tarball at this stage (and re-package the Windows
installer which is actually quite time-consuming) just to remove a
translation.

But the next release will then use the upstream translation or none at
all. I'll also try to be more wary of accepting translations of
languages I don't speak.

Thanks for the report!

Best regards,
Peter