List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Simon translations
From:       Tomáš Chvátal <tomas.chvatal () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-01-12 16:40:59

Dne So 12. ledna 2013 17:16:02, Peter Grasch napsal(a):
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 2013-01-12 at 15:58 +0100, Tomáš Chvátal wrote:
> > For some interesting reason simon 0.4 translations contain czech
> > translations from Pavel Fric rather than those from kde
> > infrastructure. Can anyone explain me why that happen?
>
> Yes, I can.
> Basically, the Czech translation was (is) fairly incomplete - it's at
> 33.48 % now but was even lower before the release.
> Pavel contacted me privately, saying that he translated Simon 0.4 but
> couldn't get it merged upstream soon enough for the release because Vít
> Pelčák couldn't do that during the holidays.

Yep I know we are slow :-) But we are slowly improving. It is better to add
correct translations rather than just hunt for 100% of strings translated
poorly.

> I don't speak Czech so I couldn't check them myself and as Pavel had
> already translated Simon 0.3 for which I never received any complaints,
> I just assumed they'd be fine.

I more suspect the simon is not that widely used in czech republic so there
was not much people to complain, or they didn't know how.

For some reason people are not that used to report bugs in translations.

> In the end, I just added his translations to the released version
> manually.
>
> > I am now revisiting the strings he requested for merging and it is 1
> > out of 5 strings fine, rest is partialy correct or completely
> > confusing and wrong.
>
> He appears to be a native speaker and even compared the English original
> texts with the German translation for strings he was unsure about (he
> noted some discrepancies there so I know this to be true).

Well here is bit misconcept, he translates from German to Czech and almost
completely ignore the english strings. Plus he likes to educate (he says that)
the people by inventing new terms for common strings.

> The translation can't be *that* bad, can it?

It might, he even has a fanclub on czech community sites screaming in pain
everytime he translates something. The bright side is that when he does so
there are few people that go and fix it afterwards (but that happens only on
popular apps like razor-qt de translations).

I didn't go through everything as I gave up after reviding few files. I leave
that to Vit, as he is the coordinator (and I like to torture him :D) so it
might be better or even worse :-)

Cheers

Tom