List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: [kde-doc-english] OT: mixing locales and languages with different directions
From:       Albert Astals Cid <aacid () kde ! org>
Date:       2012-03-22 23:05:42

El Dimarts, 20 de març de 2012, a les 06:50:48, Yuri Chornoivan va escriure:
> написане Mon, 19 Mar 2012 23:52:14 +0200, Jack <ostroffjh@sbcglobal.net>:
> > If there is a better list to ask this, please let me know, but I figure
> > someone here is likely to have experience with this issue.
> >
> > On the KMyMoney list we recently had a question from a user who has his
> > default locale set for Israel, where the direction of Hebrew is right to
> > left.  KMyMoney does not have a Hebrew translation, so the English
> > version is displayed - but still right to left.  If the app is launched
> > with --reverse on the command line, things show up the correct way.
> >
> > The user doesn't think he should have to think about this.  If there
> > were a Hebrew translation, the right to left direction would be
> > correct.  If English is used, should he be able to expect the system to
> > know it should use left to right for that application?  Is there
> > something KMM should/could check for this?  Is this a bug or enhancement
> > request for  KDE, and if so, which component.

Yeah, this is probably correct, we should not switch the LTR status if the
main catalog of the app is not found, the thing is that as far as i remember
that was how it worked, and looking at the code seems to agree with me.

So it must be a bug somewhere, thing is that i don't have time to debug it at
the moment.

So if noone else has time to debug it i suggest filing a bug in bugs.kde.org
against the kdecore/localization product and explaining the issue.

And as people will forget about it, just come here in a month or so and nag us
again to see if someone has time to have a look.

Cheers,
  Albert