List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Translation migration / organization for simon
From:       Burkhard =?iso-8859-1?q?L=FCck?= <lueck () hube-lueck ! de>
Date:       2012-01-16 14:47:30

Am Montag, 16. Januar 2012, 11:59:26 schrieb Peter Grasch:
> Hi!
>
> I'm currently migrating simon from sourceforge to the KDE infrastructure.
> As part of that, we'll also switch to KDEs scripty system.
>
> While I was reading the techbase article, a couple of questions arose. I
> asked in the #kde-i18n IRC and while tosky and yurchor were quick to help,
> they recommended that I'd ask here as well - so here we go:
>
> * The simon "suite" consists of multiple applications (simon, simond,
> ksimond, sam, afaras, ssc, sscd). Up until now, each one of those had
> their own .pot. Additionally, we had one for simonlib that holds shared
> components. simon also has two plugin systems (commands and context
> providers) - each plugin had their own .pot file as well. Moreover, the
> individual application manuals had their own .pot files too.
> Add that lot together and you end up with 36 pot files for one project. In
> absolute numbers that does sound a bit excessive to me but I'm unsure
> what's best practice here. Any suggestions?

Simon has two documentation pot files and a kcm and a library, all these
translations need to go into separate catalogs.

But you also have around 10 po's with <10 msgs, one (sscd.pot) only with NAME
OF TRANSLATORS / EMAIL OF TRANSLATORS.
Most of these small translation catalogs are from plugins.

I don't know, where and how all these various code parts like the plugins are
used by one or more applications in simon project.
So I can't really help.

> * I was told that the existing translations (to be found in the individual
> po subfolders) had to be migrated manually. Do I put in a formal request
> somewhere or will that happen "automatically"?

It has to be done manually, and you need an l10n-kde4 checkout for all
languages with existing translations for that.

> After the migration is complete, I suppose I can remove the old po folders,
> right?
Yes.

> * The example Messages.sh on techbase does not appear to handle docbook
> manuals (.xml). Is there a reason for that?

That is done by various scripts in l10-kde4/scripts, but needs to be adjusted
to the documentation directory layout in simon.

Thanks.

--
Burkhard Lück