List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: transliteration of names/credits
From:       Rajesh Ranjan <rajesh672 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-01-26 6:51:12

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 2:11 AM, G Karunakar <indlinux@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For a long time for KDE Hindi (hi) translations we have been
> transliterating names (people - developers, translators, countries),
> idea being since there is no translation possible for names, write
> them as is in Hindi (using devanagari script).
>
> eg, for POT with following
> msgid "(c) 2011 Hari Potter"
> msgstr ""
>
> msgid "Hari Potter"
> msgstr ""
>

> Current approach we are using.
> msgid "(c) 2011 Hari Potter"
> msgstr "(c) हरि पोट्टर"
>
> msgid "Hari Potter"
> msgstr "हरि पोट्टर"
>
> Now problem we have is since name pronounciation is not always clear
> (esp, for European names), many times it wrongly pronounced when
> transliterated.
> So question is whats the common approach or is there any guideline
> saying names should left as is (just copied)?

Though I understand that there is difficulty in changing the names in our
language but we should try to do.

Assume if non-roman literate people wanted to know the name of the apps of
his/her favorite apps, there is no option for him/her to know! So better we
should continue doing the same.
Since the nos of these type of strings are large, so to get the status some
language people may be doing like the same. :-)

--
Regards,
Rajesh Ranjan