List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    transliteration of names/credits
From:       G Karunakar <indlinux () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-01-25 20:53:03

Hi,

For a long time for KDE Hindi (hi) translations we have been
transliterating names (people - developers, translators, countries),
idea being since there is no translation possible for names, write
them as is in Hindi (using devanagari script).

eg, for POT with following
msgid "(c) 2011 Hari Potter"
msgstr ""

msgid "Hari Potter"
msgstr ""

Current approach we are using.
msgid "(c) 2011 Hari Potter"
msgstr "(c) हरि पोट्टर"

msgid "Hari Potter"
msgstr "हरि पोट्टर"

Now problem we have is since name pronounciation is not always clear
(esp, for European names), many times it wrongly pronounced when
transliterated.
So question is whats the common approach or is there any guideline
saying names should left as is (just copied)?

Mostly I have seen in other language PO files, its copied over.

msgid "(c) 2011 Hari Potter"
msgstr "(c) 2011 Hari Potter"

msgid "Hari Potter"
msgstr "Hari Potter"