List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: [RFC][IMPORTANT] Removing kdeqt.po
From:       Martin Schlander <martin.schlander () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-08-13 17:33:26

Fredag den 13. august 2010 18:25:27 skrev Marek Laane:
> 2010/8/13 Yuri Chornoivan <yurchor@ukr.net>
>
> > написане Fri, 13 Aug 2010 18:48:08 +0300, Marek Laane <bald@smail.ee>:
> >  Understood. One more question: if kdeqt.po will go, how can one become
> >
> >> Qt's translator? Is there some web formular, mailing list, something
> >> else you have to contact etc?
> >
> > http://qt.gitorious.org/qt/pages/QtLocalization
> >
> > You have to learn git commands and how to make merge requests.

> huh, that's not very easy....

Surely if we go the upstream route we'll have to expect that many teams simply
won't do it - cuz it's too much extra work and complexity. Leading to
untranslated strings for users.

Others may want to do it, but can't because their language is one of the
officially supported ones, or because of differences in taste/conventions
between an existing upstream team and kde translators. Leading to inconsistent
translations most likely.

Overall it seems to me the end result would be good for Qt, but bad for KDE.