List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Holiday data files
From:       John Layt <johnlayt () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2010-06-16 20:59:28

On Tuesday 15 Jun 2010 09:33:51 Chusslove Illich wrote:
> Some people in my team are gearing up to define holidays for Serbia,
> country code rs (and possibly part of Bosnia and Herzegovina, code ba).
> Given that we also have variants by script and dialect, it would go:
>
>   holiday_rs_sr
>   holiday_rs_sr@latin
>   holiday_rs_sr@ijekavian
>   holiday_rs_sr@ijekavianlatin
>   holiday_ba-rs_sr
>   holiday_ba-rs_sr@latin
>   holiday_ba-rs_sr@ijekavian
>   holiday_ba-rs_sr@ijekavianlatin
>
> (ba-rs stands for "Bosnia and Herzegovna - Republic of Srpska".) I hope @
> in file names is not going to cause some trouble?
>
> Another matter is that of religious holidays. E.g. non-working days are
> allotted for major religious holidays, but members of all major religions
> can take them during their observance of such holidays. So the question is
> how to handle this? Serbia's population is predominantly Christian
> Orthodox, so I guess holiday_rs_sr should contain those religious
> holidays, but how about others? Something like holiday_rs-catholic_sr,
> etc.?

The country code for Republic of Srpska should be ba-srp according to the ISO
standard.  With the string freeze we can't add the name to the list of
translations for SC 4.5 (unless you get an exception ;-), so it will be
translated and displayed just as "Bosnia and Herzegovina".  You can override
the country name in the file with the "name" metadata field, but this isn't
translated in SC 4.5 so non-Serbian users will only see it in Serbian.  I'll
leave you to decide which is the least worst option for now given any local
sensitivities.

The @ is used in Linux language and locale files and is valid in FAT filenames
so should be OK.

I didn't complete the Holiday Type API for SC 4.5, but the filename can take
an optional third parameter for the type, such as religion, which will get
used:

    holiday_ba-srp_sr@latin_catholic

It's restricted to a simple list of words that have been translated for SC
4.5:

	public
	religious
	financial
	cultural
	school
	seasons
	name
	personal
	catholic
	protestant
	orthodox
	jewish
	islamic

Anything else will be ignored.

The translation of the type will be appended to the country name, so the
combined user display will be something like "Serbia - Catholic (Serbian)".

It's probably best to mark both Catholic and Orthodox files as such so it's
obvious which is which.

Proper support for types and better translation options are postponed until SC
4.6

If you could e-mail them to me first, rather than committing yourself, as I
need to test it all works properly.

Cheers!

John.