List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Holiday data files
From:       John Layt <johnlayt () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2010-05-31 14:38:34

On Monday 31 May 2010 09:18:38 Sveinn í Felli wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> I found some errors in the Icelandic data file, also some
> more acceptable holiday names and there are also some dates
> missing which are not actual holidays but should be
> mentioned (similar to Halloween or First Wright brothers
> flight).
> Working on corrections right now.
>
> But, some of the dates function with lunar cycles, say first
> friday on/after first new moon (22nd of january 2010, 19th
> january 2007). How would you handle these ?

At the moment we can't calculate lunar based holidays, we don't have the
formula's or API implemented for them.  That's a feature for 4.6.

If you know the dates for the next few years we can do entries for each date
as an interim measure.

> Some other dates are set according to a complex calculation,
> based on lunar cycles and other rules, not unrelated to Old
> Easter (Julian calendar) calculations. Todays calculations
> are valid between 1000-2199 AD and have been published as a
> list of dates/years.
> How could we treat these ? Would there be a chance to have a
> lookup table with dates ? An .ics file maybe ?

If there's a set formula to calculate a special date that other holidays are
relative to, like Easter, then that's fairly easy to implement and add to the
file format, and I could possibly sneak it in as a bug fix if not too complex.
However if it involves lunar calculations then it will have to wait for 4.6.

Otherwise as an interim measure just have a holiday entry for each occurrence
between say 2000 and 2020, e.g.:

	"Random holiday" weekend on 31.12.2000
	"Random holiday" weekend on 20.06.2001
	"Random holiday" weekend on 17.01.2002

Basically, if it's not obvious how to do something, or we can't currently do
something, just document the rules (or provide links to English descriptions)
and I'll see what I can do.  That's a major reason for this review exercise,
to find out what we can't currently calculate and figure out what I need to
add in 4.6 to allow us to do so.

Thanks!

John.