List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Hebrew calendar, digit set, and weekday names
From:       John Layt <johnlayt () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2010-01-31 18:48:13

On Sunday 31 January 2010 14:14:50 Chusslove Illich wrote:
> > [: John Layt :]
> > In 4.3 KLocale gained support for setting the DigitSet to be used and
> > added support for Arabic-Indic and Devenagari digits. Hebrew was not
> > added at the time, I'm not sure why not.
>
> I think I didn't add Hebrew digits because I read that they are used only
> in dates and not in general numbers (as opposed to countries using Arabic-
> Indic, etc.), and dates were, well, already covered :)

Ah, interesting.  But with numbers/money/dates each able to be separately
configured rather than an all-or-nothing, that would seem an ideal fit, rather
than having a special exception?

Doing some more research makes it clear we can't do Hebrew numbers as they are
not a decimal digit system as supported by DigitSet and Unicode:

http://www.i18nguy.com/unicode/hebrew-numbers.html

In Unicode the following decimal digit sets are apparently supported with the
numeric value property, Hebrew isn't so won't work:

  Arabic, Balinese, Bengali, Devanagari, Ethiopic, Gujarati, Gurmukhi, Telugu,
  Khmer, Lao, Limbu, Malayalam, Mongolian, Myanmar, New Tai Lue, Nko, Oriya,
  Telugu, Thai, Tibetan, Osmanya

(Any plans to support them all?  I think we can ignore the Ancient Greek,
Roman and Cuneiform number systems :-)

I wonder if we should special case this in KLocale or the KCM to allow the
choice for Date Digit Set only?  It's probably not a good user experience to
see the Date Digit Set in System Settings as one value, but have the calendar
use another?

I guess that's for 4.5 to sort out, for 4.4 I'll do the hack.

John.