List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Vertimus
From:       Chusslove Illich <caslav.ilic () gmx ! net>
Date:       2010-01-22 20:01:45

> [: Vít Pelčák :]
> Is it possible to automate merge so it is not completely dependent on
> maintainer?

Assuming that l10n-support/{pology,scripts,templates,LANG} are properly
checked out, one can merge a single summit catalog or a whole module with:

  $ cd $KDEREPO/trunk/l10n-support
  $ posummit scripts/messages.summit cs cs/summit/messages/kdegames/katomic.po
  $ posummit scripts/messages.summit cs cs/summit/messages/kdegames/

or, using operation targets (sometimes more convenient than file paths):

  $ cd $KDEREPO/trunk/l10n-support
  $ posummit scripts/messages.summit cs +:katomic
  $ posummit scripts/messages.summit cs +:kdegames/

(here + is the reserved "branch name" of the summit, e.g. for merging the
trunk catalog it would be trunk:katomic instead; trailing / in second
command is important, as otherwise it would interpret the target as catalog
named kdegames.po).

> So translators can translate up to date files without need of intervention
> of coordinator.

With just the summit in the picture, there is no problem (that I can quickly
think of) with arbitrary team members merging bits and pieces at own
convenience. I'm just not aware of anyone doing this yet.

However, if ascription system (poascribe stuff) is added to summit, it is
critical for a catalog to be committed just after it has been merged, before
anyone starts working on updating the translation. Otherwise updated fuzzy
messages will have their ascription histories truncated. So those who merge
would have to remember to commit just after merging (or, more realistically,
I should add the option to have posummit automatically commit on
merging...).

On the other hand, even if the team does not automate merging, there is no
particular need for catalogs to be tightly up to date. E.g. I merge manually
roughly once a week, and more frequently only when the release is expected
within a week or so.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)
Serbian KDE translation team