List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Request for string freeze exception (was: Re:
From:       Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-12-30 11:37:55

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 6:43 PM, Thomas Reitelbach <tr@erdfunkstelle.de> wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 29. Dezember 2009 18:22:25 schrieb Friedrich W. H. Kossebau:
> > Hi translators,
> >
> > time is running short while some of you are struggling to reach the release
> > criteria. Still, can we please make another change?
> >
> > The last tab ("Support KDE") of the About-KDE dialog (in all help menus)
> > in trunk needs an update, as it still uses "KDE" if referring to our
> > products. Sadly seems to be missed during the Rebranding efforts:
> >
> > Lundi, le 28 decembre 2009, à 18:16, Jos Poortvliet a écrit:

> > > The changes can be minimal. Change the first "KDE" to "KDE Software"
> > > and we're basically done.
> > >
> > > The text ain't perfect indeed (as the comment on the bottom sais) but
> > > it's ok enough if we want to keep changes minimal before this freeze.
> > >
> > > A full rewrite of the text could be something like this:
> > >
> > > support->setText(i18n("<html>"
> > > "KDE software is and will always be available free of charge, however
> > > creating it is not free.<br /><br />"
> > > "To support development the KDE community has formed the KDE e.V., a
> > > non-profit organization "
> > > "legally founded in Germany. KDE e.V. represents the KDE community in
> > > legal and financial matters. "
> > > "See <a href=\"http://www.kde-ev.org/\">http://www.kde-ev.org</a>"
> > > " for information on KDE e.V.<br /><br />"
> > > "KDE benefits from many kinds of contributions, including financial. "
> > > "We use the funds to reimburse members and others for expenses "
> > > "they incur when contributing. Further funds are used for legal "
> > > "support and organizing conferences and meetings. <br /> <br />"
> > > "We would like to encourage you to support our efforts with a "
> > > "financial donation, using one of the ways described at "
> > > "<a
> > > href=\"http://www.kde.org/support/\">http://www.kde.org/support/</a>."
> > > "<br /><br />");
> >
> > So, are you able to cope with the rewrite (which would be preferred as this
> > text appears in each and every program) or do you rather prefer the minor
> > change? Or no change at all at this moment?
>
> We (the german team) would be able to translate  the rewrite in time, but is
> this change really necessary right now?
> It's not a bug. Neither the function of software nor usability is impaired by
> the missed rebranded text. And I guess that rebranding has to take place at
> several more places in KDE software anyway.

Well, what is a bug? Branding should be consistent - and changing only
one piece ("KDE" to "KDE Software") would fix it. I'm guessing that
won't be too much work?

> This is just my 2 cent. If others say OK, then change it. Otherwise I'd say,
> let's wait until string freeze is over.

How about we do the small change and wait with a more extensive
rewrite until string freeze is over? Of course, you'll have the last
say...