List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    String freeze exception for an option in the Plasma taskbar
From:       Marco Martin <notmart () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-12-24 15:51:13

Hi all,
I know we're pretty late in the cycle, so this is not something i ask lightly.

By the way the story is the following:
KWin has an effect called highlight wndows, that can highlight a single window
or a group by dimming the opacity of all the others (yeah, like the windows 7
taskbar :))
it was off until now, but is now needed by the alt+tab effect and is really
not something that should e enabled or disabled globally in KWin but it should
be something that should be always on and should be applications that decide
to use it or not, at least this is what we agreed between KWin and Plasma
teams :).

now, the taskbar too can use this effect, and it behaves exactly like the
windows7 taskbar in this case. in KDE 4.3 it was fine because that kwin effect
was disabled by default, but now that is necessary elsewhere the taskbar
screams about being a windows7 ripoff way too loud.
We so agreed it should be disabled by default (done by an hidden option right
now) but it would be almost impossible to discover how to turn it on agan, so
it could generate quite a lot of wrong regression bugreports about this not
being possible anymore.

What we would need is a checkbox option in the taskbar setting like "highlight
windows on taskbar mouse over" or something like that.
As i said i don't lightly add random options or cause mess so late in the
cycle, but we agreed it was prety important this one.

Thanks for bearing with us :p

Cheers,
Marco Martin