List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: [libkunitconversion] Currenciess pluralss
From:       John Layt <johnlayt () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2009-11-30 10:59:57

On Sunday 29 November 2009 21:40:29 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> A Diumenge, 29 de novembre de 2009, John Layt va escriure:
> > On Sunday 29 November 2009 17:25:25 pierre.buard@gmail.com wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > While translating libkunitconversion I found some weird currency names.
> > >  Apparently it was decided to simply slap an "S" for the plural forms
> > >  disregarding the perfectly valid declinations available. This led to
> > > terms like "litas -> litass" or "lats -> latss".
> > >
> > > Entries 259 to 262: the Lithuanian currency plural is "litai" for the
> > >  nominative or "lit µ" for the genitive (take your pick).
> > >
> > > Entries 264 to 267: the Latvian use "latu" for the plural.
> > >
> > > Entries 269 to 272: The plural for the Polish zloty is "zlotych" or
> > > "zlote" but I didn't find another example than this one: # 1 złoty - 2
> > > złote - 5 złotych. In French the name is invariable (1 zloty, 100
> > > zloty).
> > >
> > > Entries 274 to 277: the Romanian plural for "leu" is "lei".
> > >
> > > Entries 314 to 317: the Brazilian plural is "reais".
> >
> > Wow, that's something I didn't know about.  Some duplication there, the
> >  sort of thing I hope KCurrencyCode will avoid in future.
> >
> > It's not just the plurals, none of the country names are properly
> >  capitalised either, e.g. "new zealand dollars" and "french francs".
> >
> > Quite a lot of fixes needed there.
>
> John, can you handle that fixing?
>
> Albert
>
> > John.

Yes, I can do that.

For plurals, I'll try stick to what's most common practice in American English
as documented in Wikipedia, i.e. usually put an s on the end where
appropriate, sometimes use the singular form, and sometimes use the local
form.  For example zloty will be zlotys as that is the common use, yuan will
be yuan, and litas will probably be litai.

I'll post a list here before committing so people can check and get a final
OK.

I'll also drop the author a line to see if he's happy with using the Name from
KCalendarSystem as well, try save 50 strings.

John.