List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Request to split calendar systems from kdelibs4.po into separate po
From:       Māris Nartišs <maris.kde () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-11-21 13:02:03

Hello,
as Latvian team started to work on KDE 4.4 translations, we got nasty
surprise - kdelibs4.po contains more calendar systems. After care full
review and work with literature, we still are not capable to meet
release quantitative barrier - 90% of kdelibs4.po. For some of month
names we have been unable to find translations to Latvian language for
more than 5 years and thus it seems to be impossible to find them
before KDE 4.4. release. Just copying msgid to msgstr is not an option
as it is not a translation process. Also transliteration to Latvian
language is not an easy task, as it requires to know word
pronunciation in "original" language at first. In case of Ethiopian
calendar system month names it most likely means - pronunciation in
Ge'ez language...

For Latvian KDE users translated month names of Ethiopian, Jalali,
Indian national calendar make little use or sense and thus are not
essential for KDE usage in Latvia with Latvian locale. Still high %
requirement of kdelibs4.po makes translation of various month names
from various calendar systems high importance task (and information).
According to Wikipedia [1], there are 41 calendar system in use right
now. Adding more calendar systems to KDE will make situation just
worse.

My proposal (sorry - no code :( ) is to split calendar systems into
separate file (i.e. kalendar.po) and not take into account it's
translation % to determine language readiness for release. Only
exception could be the Gregorian calendar as it is considered "the de
facto international standard, and is used almost everywhere in the
world for civil purposes, including in the People's Republic of China
and India" [2].
If it's impossible to get this done before KDE 4.4 release - temporary
lower kdelibs4.po requirements to i.e. 85%, thus making new calendar
system month names translations not mandatory.

I would like to hear feedback from other (small) teams too. If You
have not yet started to work on KDE 4.4 translation, probably it's
time to take look at kdelibs4.po.

Maris, coordinator of Latvian team.

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_calendars
2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calendar#Currently_used_calendars