List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Why does kde-i18n-doc translate outdated documentation?
From:       Orestes Mas <orestes () tsc ! upc ! edu>
Date:       2009-10-21 21:15:01

A Dimecres, 21 d'octubre de 2009 22:11:10, Burkhard Lück va escriure:
> Am Montag 19 Oktober 2009 21:41:47 schrieb Albert Astals Cid:
> > What happens is that the one that translate the app sometimes does not
> >  really use it, just does the translation, so he doesn't know/check if
> > the manual is ok or not.
>
> Each application uses at least 5 translation catalogs, some up to 15-20
> catalogs.
>
> But how is he able to know the translations of all gui string used in the
> documentation without a running application?

It's a kind of a miracle. Translator's work take place mainly in trunk, and
for some users it's not easy to set up a trunk KDE environment to run the
exact version of the app they're translating. Recently this has been mitigated
by some projects like the Project Neon (but doesn't include all KDE modules,
and covers only kubuntu).

May be other similar projects do exist, but I don't know them, and I don't
consider myself a totally KDE illiterate :-), I simply don't have the time to
cope with all that new stuff growing on the net. So you can figure out that
other translators can also share my point of view...

Orestes.