List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    [Off-topic] What's happening with FLOSS  l10n worldwide?
From:       Miguel Branco <mgl.branco () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-09-17 13:52:43

Hi,

Sorry for using this channel for an off-topic. But it's the best place I can
think of where I can ask all this. Hope this is not too annoying.

I was  contacted to give a speech on minority languages and FLOSS for a summer
course at a local university, as I had previously gather and presented data
about languages being translated in FLOSS (akademy-es last year).

In order to prepare the speech, which is Monday, I'd like to know why people
is localising to any given language. Everything you can tell me, I am glad to
hear about.

Questions that come to my head are:

- are you translating alone or are you part of a local group that localise
other software as well?
- are you supported by any organisation or government?
- are you a student? a worker? are you an university graduate? on what?
- hfor how long have you being doing this? for how long there is efforts to
localise to your language?
- Having looked at which languages are being translated to:  Why so many
Indian, Malaysian,... languages? Why so many from South African? Why so few
languages from the Americas and Australia? Why so many small languages from
Europe and not from anywhere else?
- What's the background of your linguistic community?is it poor or rural? rich
and developed? is it technologically developed? is your language endangered?
why?

I promise to share the information I gather.

Thank you very much in advance,

Miguel