List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Moving to git
From:       Federico Zenith <federico.zenith () member ! fsf ! org>
Date:       2009-07-25 13:04:05

In data giovedì 23 luglio 2009 15:53:01, Myriam Schweingruber ha scritto:
> > Yes.. And I don't want to checkout the whole repo whenever a file change.
> > Subversion make it easy to have partial checkout.
>
> So does git. Once the first checkout made, the subsequent 'git pull'
> only updates your local clone.

Ahem, except it does not. Sébastien is referring to partial checkouts, not
updates. It is not possible with git (nor with any other DVCS, AFAIK) to make
a partial checkout of a repository.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_revision_control_software#Advanced_Features
All local copies of the SVN repo I know of are partial. No one wants to check
out (and update) all of the l10n hierarchy, when they are interested only in
the templates/, scripts/ and theirlanguage/ folders, let alone the entire KDE
project.

Given that the KDE SVN repository is humongous, the only way to use git with
KDE would be to change paradigm and use a series of repositories (and I
suppose, losing SVN history in the process) for each subproject, of which
Amarok's seems to be the first one.

If it is decided to move KDE to git, one should first develop an appropriate
GUI, something like KDESVN is for Subversion or Cervisia for CVS. Are there
any such projects?

Cheers,
-Federico