List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Weather conditions - some proposals
From:       "Anne-Marie Mahfouf" <annemarie.mahfouf () free ! fr>
Date:       2009-07-21 8:48:30

Hi,

The Weather Applet strings addition were added late and approved by some
translators I think. For those who cannot translate them, it won't be worse
than if they never were put in anyway and you won't suffer from stastistics
because of them.

The other added string was from a Ruby binding as bindings are not frozen at
this point. Not sure if this is allowed or not.

I think it is time to draw some conclusions from this release and to make
things better for the 4.4 release.

Personally the conclusions I make are:
1) Reinforce the i18n review for all kdereview programs. Before joining a KDE
module, programs from playground go to kdereview (that's a trunk module) for 2
weeks and should be reviewed. Few people know this and while we have
developers dedicated in checking i18n it would be good that more people get
involved.
Proposal: CC this list when a program goes to kdereview (only kde-core-devel
is mailed)
Checking large pieces of code such as GSoC which do not go through kdereview
is another problem. Make mentors aware of i18n importance by CCing this list
when new big code is added so we can check strings.
2) Use one of the first beta to really check KDE in your translated language.
Yesterday I found several bugs not due to the translation itself but to the
code. For example the converter applet assumes 'square meters' but in French
we translate to 'meters to square'. The translation of this applet to French
is unusable.
Proposal: make a l10n-oriented pre-release (i.e. enforce the need of a check
in translate languages to detect untranslated strings, bad formatted strings,
layout problems, ...)

I feel that translators really express themselves by asking for more
precisions about strings and that the ki18n strings formatting improved
translators life a lot as well as Lokalize. Meanwhile as KDE spreads
translations are more and more needed. The short release cycle maybe also is a
difficulty to achieve perfection.

Do we have people from this list who are subscribe to the release-team mailing
list? If not, I encourage you to do so. If you feel my proposals make sense I
can convey them to the release team.

Best regards to all and "bravo" for your achievement!

Anne-Marie