List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: gwenrename getting ready for KDE4
From:       Albert Astals Cid <aacid () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-07-13 19:00:31

A Dilluns, 13 de juliol de 2009, Spiros Georgaras va escriure:
> On Monday 13 July 2009 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > A Dissabte, 11 de juliol de 2009, Spiros Georgaras va escriure:

> > > Thank you both for your suggestions
> > > It seems my "logical" procedure is not that logical after all :)
> > >
> > > BTW, I have edited the page [1], providing the kde3 version of the
> > > files, as I found out there were not so many differences between the
> > > two files - except for the ones that did not exist for kde3 all
> > > together.
> > >
> > > [1] http://members.hellug.gr/sng/gwenrename/translate.html
> >
> > I'm quite unhappy with that page, it says people should be sending
> > translations to you and that's wrong.
> >
> > People should be sending the translations to our svn otherwise things
> > like this happen (that is there are translations on your site and
> > translations on svn and they are not the same).
>
> Hi Albert,
> the page says exactly the opposite; contact your translation team, if such
> a team does not exist then send the file to me... This is the exact text
> from the page:
>
> "The first thing you should do is visit http://l10n.kde.org/teams-list.php
> and find out whether a translation team already exists for your language.
> Then
>
> 1. If a translation team exists for your language, contact them and inform
> them you would like to help translating GwenRename
>
> 2. If no translation team exists for your language, you can still translate
> GwenRename by following this procedure..."
>
> The procedure ends up with "send the translated file to me"
>
> I think this is clear, but maybe my English is not that good, and the way
> I've written this page make people misunderstand what I mean. I'm open to
> suggestions, in order to improve it :)

It's clear, i just did not read the 1) point when going through the document.

But, point 2 should still be removed, if there's no language team sending the
translating to you is pointless because if there's no kdelibs4.po etc the
gwenrename translation is "worthless" so you should encourage people to create
the team if there's no team for their language.

Also might be worth to mention contacting this list if the team contact fails
to answer in a timely manner.

> > If you agree i'd like to commit all the files you have to svn and then
> > you change you page people should be sending the translation to the
> > proper KDE translation team for their language.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> Sure, I have no problem with that, but I don't know if this is the case
> with the coordinator(s) of the affected teams. Having worked as a
> coordinator of the Greek translation team for a number of years, I can tell
> you I wouldn't appreciate people commiting things without me knowing.

I commit, move, rename and fix things every day of my kde i18n coordination
work.

> Wouldn't it be better if the teams coordinator(s) receive an email from
> you, informing them about this instead?

That means hoping everyone reads it and everyone knows who to do it, the other
way it's just me doing the work.

/me goes to commit translations to the repo

Albert