List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Translations, Qt, and licensing
From:       Gordon Schumacher <gordon () rebit ! com>
Date:       2009-04-27 17:58:34

Please excuse me if this is in a FAQ somewhere, but I'm trying to get a
little clarification on the licensing of the KDE translation files
(particularly, KDE's translations of Qt's strings).

My bits of digging coupled with some discussion on the IRC channel
suggests that those translation are licensed under the LGPL, and thus
are especially compatible with the new LGPL status of Qt itself.  I'd
been in a discussion with TT legal some time ago about the idea of being
able to set up a Web-based translation system so that people could more
easily contribute translations of the Qt strings, but at the time the
licensing would not allow such a thing.  With the licensing change,
though, it could be done now.

Is my understanding correct?  If so, I'm certainly interested in setting
up such a project, not least for my own benefit (our application is
shipped in some languages that TT does not distribute translations for).

Thanks!