List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: XML errors
From:       Karl Ove Hufthammer <karl () huftis ! org>
Date:       2009-04-20 9:02:36

Martin Schlander:

>> Indeed. For the Norwegian translators, these statistics are now useless.
>> There is no way the translators are going to use a *text editor* to ‘fix'
>> strings; it is challenging enough for them to start using Lokalize.
>
> Come on. Don't tell me translators can't edit a plaintext file with KWrite
> or Kate. Afterall they manage to use fullblown word processors don't they?

Of course they can. With the result often being an invalid PO file, because
they entered a " by mistake, or forgot some other vital part of the PO
syntax. This is based on experience, not speculation.

And as I said, why *should* they have to fix an ‘error' in a string, when it
is actually not an error, because the string isn't actually used.

> Besides I personally consider fixing xml-erros mostly a job for the
> coordinator. It's too much work mailing po-files back and forth to fix one
> or two xml-errors in a file.

We work in a separate SVN repository, where all the translators have write
access, not by e-maling files back and forth (doing so would be hugely
ineffective).

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer