List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Periods after Ellipses (was Re: request for context)
From:       Andrew Coles <andrew_coles () yahoo ! co ! uk>
Date:       2009-03-31 22:43:48

--- On Tue, 31/3/09, Malcolm Hunter <malcolm.hunter@gmx.co.uk> wrote:
> I can't remember what it's called, but there is a
> difference between a sentence and what we're talking about
> here.

A clause.

> Besides, this is not ellipsis that's replacing missing
> words, it's signifying a delay, as in: "Please wait...".

Okay, so if we vote for it being an aposiopetic ellipsis rather than an ellipsis \
proper, and hence it's an ellipsis within a clause rather than a sentence, then yep - \
CMoS. concurs that the full stop afterwards shouldn't be there.

> P.S. I hope you're taking this as friendly debate and not
> me knocking you. You're doing a sterling job - thanks mainly
> to you, we're now at 100% for stable and nearly there for
> trunk too!

I'd assumed it was friendly from the off - my default is to assume that such \
arguments are technical rather than personal.  Besides, I'd fall flat in a second in \
academia if I couldn't handle people holding different opinions to my own ;).

Andrew