List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: request for context
From:       "Malcolm Hunter" <malcolm.hunter () gmx ! co ! uk>
Date:       2009-03-31 22:28:40

> My take on it would be that
>
> 'Sending....'
>
> ... is short for something like:
>
> 'Sending information across network.'
>
> ... which /is/ a sentence.  Then, we use the rules that would be relevant
> if the other words were there; i.e. it's a sentence, and needs a full stop.

I can't remember what it's called, but there is a difference between a sentence and \
what we're talking about here. Take for example:

"The client is sending data to the server." is a sentence, whereas:

"Sending data to server" is not. I take "Sending..." to be the same as the latter - \
1) it has no subject, 2) it's stripped of articles.

Besides, this is not ellipsis that's replacing missing words, it's signifying a \
delay, as in: "Please wait...".

Also, I bet you that 9 out of 10 people that notice it will think it's a typo :).

Cheers,

Malcolm

P.S. I hope you're taking this as friendly debate and not me knocking you. You're \
doing a sterling job - thanks mainly to you, we're now at 100% for stable and nearly \
                there for trunk too!
--
Technical copy-editor & proofreader

KDE Proofreading Team
KDE British English Translation Team

http://l10n.kde.org/team-infos.php?teamcode=en_GB

Neu: GMX FreeDSL Komplettanschluss mit DSL 6.000 Flatrate + Telefonanschluss für nur \
17,95 Euro/mtl.!* http://dsl.gmx.de/?ac=OM.AD.PD003K11308T4569a