List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: kdgantt
From:       Thomas Reitelbach <tr () erdfunkstelle ! de>
Date:       2009-01-04 10:45:14

On Sonntag, 4. Januar 2009, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> A Dijous 01 Gener 2009, Thomas Reitelbach va escriure:
> > On Donnerstag, 1. Januar 2009, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > > A Dijous 01 Gener 2009, Marek Laane va escriure:

> > > Something like that, yes.
> >
> > I believe one version should either be removed or renamed to prevent
> > problems. If KOffice's kdgantt and the KDE one are not the same version,
> > then this will lead to broken translations. Imagine an older version of
> > KOffice is beeing installed onto a very recent Version of KDE 4. This
> > would overwrite the newer kdegantt translations from KDE 4 with the older
> > ones from KOffice.
>
> This would seem a bad idea but it's currently not possible since the
> directory in koffice is directly a svn:external to kdepim one which means
> no local modifications can be done. Luckily kdgantt is quite stable so that
> should not happen.
>
> If you are not happy with this situation i suggest contacting both koffice
> and kdepim explaining the potential situation, one possible solution would
> be moving kdgantt to kdepimlibs, but it's GPL and i think libs there need
> to be LGPL.
>
> I tried once and failed, maybe you have more luck :-)

No, I won't start this discussion :)
It does not seem to be worth it, because the situation is unlikely to happen
and even if it does, it is not that harmful. If the issue would be easy to
fix, then it should be done. But as you already said, kdgantt is unlikely to
change strings and thus the issue is really minor.
The only remaining problem could be for packagers, because they have to
package the same translation file for kdepim _and_ for koffice. I could
imagine that this will lead to problems with RPM, but I'm not sure.

Cheers
Thomas