List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Adept 3 translation
From:       Martin Schlander <martin.schlander () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-10-22 11:33:40

Onsdag 22 oktober 2008 12:43:29 skrev Kristof Bal:
> > And how are we supposed to fix this?
> >
> > We have told more than once that they are breaking our work, and the only
> > solution they give is to switch to launchpad and that is obviously not an
> > option.
> >
> > For me it's a stalemate, and i would ask that if you (as in plural) don't
> > have a solution, don't start the thread over and over again, it will only
> > create bad feelings amongst everyone.
>
> True, we don't want things to get heated up (is that English?).

For Danish the Ubuntu l18n team has simply "closed the team down". This way
translations are always taken from upstream. Except Ubuntu-specific stuff that
needs to be translated in Launchpad.

If someone suggest translations for KDE in Danish via Launchpad, his
suggestions will be rejected, and he'll be told where to go with his
suggesions.

The Danish Ubuntu translation team, are also the upstream GNOME translators,
and they had the good sense to make sure things are done the correct way. Also
the Danish l18n team page on Launchpad links to the proper upstream
translation projects.

Sorting this out with Ubuntu teams voluntarily on a per language basis, is of
course ineffecient and irksome, but for us (Danish) it works.

So maybe other languages could find similar arrangements. Get in touch with
the Ubuntu l18n team, and plead with them to do the right thing and keep their
hands off KDE translations (at least), and to direct interested translators to
the proper place, instead of their current most unfortunate practice.