List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Please discuss: Translation of types and properties in Nepomuk
From:       "Luciano Montanaro" <mikelima () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-10-09 12:43:46

> female vs. male (as for example in french with a differnet suffix):
> Is that really necessary? After all, we never really know if the friend we
> are talking about is male or female.

As a data point, Italian has only two genders, masculine or feminine,
and articles and adjectivs change according to the gender. Actually,
some verbal forms cam be affected too (past paticiple, for example).
So if the goal is to provide a grammatically correct phrase, gender
distinction cannot be omitted.

But accomodating all the languages KDE is translated in this way into
is going to be quite a task.
--
Luciano Montanaro

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on
no account be allowed to do the job. -- Douglas Adams