List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Please discuss: Translation of types and properties in Nepomuk
From:       Sebastian =?utf-8?q?Tr=C3=BCg?= <strueg () mandriva ! com>
Date:       2008-10-09 12:42:05

Ok, I see there is quite a lot of confusion here. I should have been way more
precise. Sorry about that.

There are basically two sources for the strings:
1. The names and labels of types and properties as I mentioned in my mail come
from the ontology itself. They are defined in a text file. This is different
from "normal" translations where these strings are hardcoded in the
application.
2. The names of resources aka instances are either created by the user or come
from places such as the addressbook (name) or the web (webpage title)

So if I say for example that I would like to somehow translate "%1 is
mentioned in %2", I mean that the ontology file contains "%1 is mentioned
in %2" and the application reads this string (already translated without i18n
since the ontology contains the translated strings) from Nepomuk. It then
fills %1 and %2 in with names of instances which were created by the user or
some application and do not really need translation.

So the process is a bit different. And the big issue is that new ontologies
could be installed at any time. The system should then be able to deal with
these new ontologies (which bring their own translations).

Thus, the question is: how do these strings to translate need to look like to
cover most cases?

I hope this clears it up a bit. If not, please bug me some more. :)

Cheers,
Sebastian