List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: KDE/kdepim/kmail
From:       Thomas McGuire <thomas.mcguire () gmx ! net>
Date:       2008-07-21 15:27:08

Hi,

On Monday 21 July 2008 09:00:14 Thomas Reitelbach wrote:
> Am Freitag, 18. Juli 2008 17:15:25 schrieb Thomas McGuire:
> > SVN commit 834288 by tmcguire:
> >
> > When translating the templates of KMail, please only use U+0022 or U+201C
> > to translate the quotation mark, otherwise you'll trigger this bug.
> > Simply using the ASCII " character is the best.
>
> ... beeing the "best" solution might be the wrong solution for many
> locales. What about other languages that might have completely different
> quotation marks? What about  « » for example? Or some teams might use <> or
> whatever.
>
> Is it possible to modify the quote in such a way that we translators can
> use any quotation marks without trigger this bug? There are so many
> locales, I'm pretty sure others will have the same problem and don't know
> about it.
I've now changed the templates, the quote marks are not translatable anymore
(they were never meant to be anything else than ", since templates are kind of
a programming language, and a parser should not have to be locale-aware).

Before, the KMail code looked like
i18n( "%REM=\"Default forward template\"%-\n" )
Now this is
"%REM=\"" + i18n( "Default forward template" ) + "\"%-\n"

This means you can now only translate "Default forward template", but not the
surrounding template code (The %REM command was the only one having this
problem). The rest of the templates are still fully translatable.

I hope this is acceptable.

Regards,
Thomas