List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: German translation in Fraktur
From:       Federico Zenith <fzenith () broadpark ! no>
Date:       2008-02-06 5:38:58

martedì 5 febbraio 2008, Gerrit Sangel ha scritto:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I had the idea to, well, resurrect ;) German Fraktur writing (German
> script) by making a "translation" of KDE into Fraktur.
> [...]

Ok, to sum it up your problems are:
1) Use mandatory ligatures (OpenType);
2) Convert to old German spelling;
3) Switch font for acronyms and all-caps text in general.

In 1), you may want to substitute these ligatures diretly in the text with
some regular expressions ("s/ch/whatever it is/g"), if they are included in
Unicode. I could not find the ligature for "ch", though. Support of OpenType
sounds more of an X11 issue to me.
Anyway, while programming an application, I noticed that a particular font (I
think it was FreeSerif on Kubuntu) would show an "st" ligature, without me
ever knowing it existed; so, ligatures that the font file provides for are
probably supported out of the box already.

For 2) it would be very helpful to know whether it is possible to convert from
new to old spelling with some rules ("All sequences of three consonants
become two"), or whether it is on a case ­-by-case basis ("dass
becomes "daß"). Anyway, if your only issue is with "ſs", you could just as
well use the current spelling, substitute the appropriate "s" with "Å¿" and
run a 'sed -e "s/ſs/ß/g" text.po' on the file: this would be way easier to
do.

For 3), it looks like a problem that could be sent all the way upstream to the
Qt libraries. The current HTML subset supported in rich text is this:
http://doc.trolltech.com/4.3/richtext-html-subset.html
I suppose you could use as a workaround "<span style="font-family:
text that cannot be rendered in Fraktur, and configure Antiqua for that kind
of style. The text itself should be somewhat easy to find with a regexp, if
the only cases are all-caps words. However, I do not think that every text on
screen supports rich text. Not sure it can be made to either.

You may want to look to the Serbian team for advice, since they already
maintain two parallel versions of their translations (latin and cyrillic, not
sure which is the manual one and which is the machine-generated). You might
generate a de@Latf locale, pretty much the way there is a sr@Latn locale.

> So, what do you think of it? After all, I think Fraktur writing is really a
> beautiful writing, although some people think of it as negatively
> connotated, which is not the case.

Some people associate Fraktur with Nazi Germany, but in fact the Nazi regime
abolished the use of Fraktur, calling it "Jewish script", and Hitler himself
had a personal dislike for it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiqua-Fraktur_dispute

Cheers,
-Federico