List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: to  stable/l10n-kde4 or not, that's the question
From:       Marek Laane <bald () smail ! ee>
Date:       2008-01-07 17:45:35

Ühel kenal päeval (esmaspäev, 7. jaanuar 2008 17:44:26) kirjutas Albert Astals
Cid:
> Hi,
>
>   Today I've been speaking today with Dirk about stable/l10n-kde4 and we
> reached a point where we were not sure what to do, so i'll explain the
> situation and let you people say your opinion, as you will be the
> final "users" of the decision.
>
> So the possibilities are:
>
> 	a) Create stable/l10n-kde4 now and make it process messages of KDE 4.0.x
> and make trunk/l10n-kde4 process KDE 4.1 messages
>
> 	b) Keep using trunk/l10n-kde4 for KDE 4.0.x and create stable/l10n-kde4
> and switch trunk/l10n-kde4 to process KDE 4.1 when real KDE 4.1 is nearer
> (say around beta 1 or so)
>
> Pros and Cons:
>
> a) Is clearer in a conceptual way, that's a pro, but in the other side, it
> will create a problem having to move KDE 4.0 improved translations from the
> stable branch to the trunk branch for 4.1 and having two branches always
> makes people get lost easier
>
> b) Solves the two cons that a) option has, that's good, the only problem i
> see there is that it makes it impossible to translate 4.1, but anyone wants
> to translate 4.1 so early? I think starting to translate it around beta 1
> is more than enough.
>
> Both Dirk and me are leaning towards option b) as we think it makes things
> more simple but we greatly value your opinion, so please, tell us what you
> think.
>
> Albert

Hi,
I'd rather support possibility a).
Main reasoning: there are dozens translation teams, each one with different
time options. Giving for all only some weeks for translation of 4.1 might be
not satisfactory for teams who may not have enough time at that particular
period but may have more time for translation e.g some weeks or months
earlier, so they can only polish and update translations after betas.
Besides, I don't think "having two branches always makes people get lost
easier". IMHO, KDE has been branched in "stable" and "trunk" quite long time
and it hasn't created too many problems for translators.

Marek Laane