List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Parley string error
From:       "Malcolm Hunter" <malcolm.hunter () gmx ! co ! uk>
Date:       2007-12-22 20:40:42

On Sat, December 22, 2007 8:18 pm, Frederik Schwarzer wrote:
> Thomas Reitelbach wrote:
>
>> On Samstag, 22. Dezember 2007, Orestes Mas wrote:
>> > Parley string #601 reads as follows:
>> >
>> > "There are vocabularies left in this lesson. Do you want to delete
>> them?
>> > You will loose your entries! You have been warned!"
>> >
>> > I think "loose" should be "lose" (but I'm not entirely sure as I'm not
>> > native english speaker)
>>
>> Loose is correct.
>
> to lose should be correct here...
> loose is an adjective to say that something is loose as a collection of
> things
> that are not packed together or something similar.

Another familiar example is "loose wheel", meaning it's about to come off.

Loose is also a verb: to loose something means to let it go or unleash it.

> Another point would be if "You have been warned!" is the best way to say
> that
> something serious is going to happen. For me there always Clint Eastwood
> showing up when I read such a statement.

I agree. This is informal instruction, which shouldn't be used in dialogs.
I think a simple "Warning! This will cause your entries to be lost." would
suffice.

Regards,
Malcolm
--
Web Development, Technical Copy-Editing & Proofreading

KDE Proofreading Team
KDE British English Translation Team

http://l10n.kde.org/team-infos.php?teamcode=en_GB