List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: kbabel in kde4
From:       Gudmund Areskoug <gudmundpublic () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-08-15 8:34:39

Hello Yukiko,

Yukiko Bando wrote:
> Chusslove Illich wrote:
>>> [: Gudmund Areskoug :]
>>> [...] to see if someone already thought of back-checking, to see
>>> whether a term/string in the target language has been used as
>>> translation for different things, not just that one source has the
>>> same translation everywhere.
>> This is a bloody excellent idea in my opinion :) Same as Kevin has
>> mined the adjectives out of the i18n call in the code itself, we could
>> mine this info out of the full language checkout. And not with too much
>> effort at that.
>>
>> Before I or someone else gets onto it, does someone perhaps see a
>> caveat with this approach?
>
> We use a same Japanese word for settings, configuration/configure and
> preferences. What will happen to those translations? Get fuzzied? There
> are some other English words that we have only one word in Japanese...

main thing with the feature is IMO that translators/QA people get
alerted about it, to make an intelligent decision.

Once the term is set, it might e. g. be possible to check it against a
termbank and have the app not give an alert for what's already in the
termbank. That termbank might e. g. in turn be a candidate for the same
procedure, but at longer intervals.

>> Though, for example, I was rather surprised that I couldn't find
>> integral version of Microsoft's dictionary that their local subsidiary
>> assembled while translating into my language, and even being told
>> straigth out by one of the participants that he cannot disclose it
>> without approval, etc. Why wouldn't it be in their best interest to
>> freely and conspicuously provide permanent access to the dictionary, is
>> beyond me...
>
> I downloaded Mircosoft's English-Japanese corpus from
> ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/developr/msdn/newup/Glossary/ in May 2006 but the
> folder had been emptied when I checked again after Vista was out...

Haven't checked in a while, but AFAIR they've still got those resources
available online - somewhere. Possibly, they'll only be available in
some proprietary format (e. g. Trados), but there are AFAIR free (even
as in speech) tools that can handle/convert that to something free.

BR,
Gudmund