List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: kbabel in kde4
From:       Chusslove Illich <caslav.ilic () gmx ! net>
Date:       2007-08-14 19:59:05

>> [: Chusslove Illich :]
>> I personaly find assisted translation of previously untranslated content
>> next to useless (even detrimental in a sense), [...]
>
> [: Nick Shaforostoff :]
> So you like typing strings like "Could not delete temporary file", "File",
> "&File", "File:" several times from scratch?

In the grander scheme of things, actually yes :) However, this is indeed
just my own convolved reasoning, not for a second would I try and argue
that assisted translation is best avoided in general. Plenty of people
have already said they like it in one form or the other, and that's what
practically counts here.

I merely mentioned the usage of translation memory in context of
illustrating different priorities in translation processes...

>> [: Chusslove Illich :]
>> This is a tricky thing, as there are many cases in which the source
>> comments do not provide unambiguous paths to location in the repository
>> [...]
>
> [: Nick Shaforostoff :]e
> the actual file open will be handled by (manually modifiable) script

I certainly welcome providing such power, but sometimes I wonder about
progressive orders of complexity, like O(source code), O(each language
team), O(each translator), and try to handle things as early in the pipe as
practical.

In the sense of source references, I thought about e.g. somehow enhancing
Messages.sh files which create POTs, so that Kaider, or any other PO tool
for that matter, can automatically resolve references. One might argue that
it doesn't concern Kaider in particular, but then, as PO editors should
benefit from this, it makes sense to me to discuss the matter while one such
is actually in development :)

>> [: Chusslove Illich :]
>> [...] if the translator could write sth. like "context-suggestion" right
>> there to the message, after which it diffuses without any other
>> translator's action [...]
>
> [: Nick Shaforostoff :]
> i don't think svn co'ing (to modify .cpp) is hard. we can't force
> translator to write some comments if he doesnt want to.

Hm... What I meant, forgetting the particular PO editor for the moment, is
that the translator adds a comment like this:

  # >>context: "Blah, blah..."
  msgid ...

into the PO which he is currently editing, and then sends the PO away via
usual channels. Once that PO finds its way to the repository, something
there picks up this comment and does... something (with ultimate goal that
the code is changed to incorporate the context, but some things in between
could also be useful).

The PO editor then acts according to its purpose in the first place: give
translator more friendly/efficient mean of suppling such suggestions,
perhaps with a GUI that encourages adding them in certain situations, nice
whatsthis texts, etc.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)
Serbian KDE translation team