List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: kbabel in kde4
From:       Yukiko Bando <ybando () k6 ! dion ! ne ! jp>
Date:       2007-08-14 16:40:56

Chusslove Illich wrote:
> > [: Gudmund Areskoug :]
> > [...] to see if someone already thought of back-checking, to see
> > whether a term/string in the target language has been used as
> > translation for different things, not just that one source has the
> > same translation everywhere.
>
> This is a bloody excellent idea in my opinion :) Same as Kevin has
> mined the adjectives out of the i18n call in the code itself, we could
> mine this info out of the full language checkout. And not with too much
> effort at that.
>
> Before I or someone else gets onto it, does someone perhaps see a
> caveat with this approach?

We use a same Japanese word for settings, configuration/configure and
preferences. What will happen to those translations? Get fuzzied? There
are some other English words that we have only one word in Japanese...

> Though, for example, I was rather surprised that I couldn't find
> integral version of Microsoft's dictionary that their local subsidiary
> assembled while translating into my language, and even being told
> straigth out by one of the participants that he cannot disclose it
> without approval, etc. Why wouldn't it be in their best interest to
> freely and conspicuously provide permanent access to the dictionary, is
> beyond me...

I downloaded Mircosoft's English-Japanese corpus from
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/developr/msdn/newup/Glossary/ in May 2006 but the
folder had been emptied when I checked again after Vista was out...

Yukiko