List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: kbabel in kde4
From:       Chusslove Illich <caslav.ilic () gmx ! net>
Date:       2007-08-14 15:03:23

> [: mvillarino :]
> But this advanced features are great! [...] Here, the malfeatured are not
> those functionalities, but we --kde l10n project- not taking full
> advantage out of them: i've been on this for some two years, and all that
> time long, I've had no mean to query a translation corpus, nor build up a
> glossary, two thing that are essential (together with sharing it).

I didn't mean to say that translation memory and assisted translation are
malfeatures themselves, but that I think they are of high importance in the
commercial software environment, due to those other tidbits :)

I suspect that if they'd be as useful for the "free translator", we'd
already have few widespread solutions. For example, I personaly find
assisted translation of previously untranslated content next to useless
(even detrimental in a sense), while something to quickly check "how is this
particular term being translated in KDE, Gnome, etc.?" would be more useful.
Hence, although I myself am not much of a programmer, I still have a lot of
priorities of what I'd like to do before even thinking about fiddling with
translation memories.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)
Serbian KDE translation team